Saturday, July 27, 2013

Releasing Social Sensibility

Imagine if you and I met today...picture it...I smile, shake your hand, say nice to meet you.  Now picture this...I ask you what do you do?  What's your response?  

Do you anxiously search your mind.  Looking for the words to describe the mundane day to day you call your job...your career...your Monday to Friday grind.  Do you hastily throw out a word that vaguely encapsulates this answer...do you feel worth, or lack thereof from giving this answer?

This question is misleading...empty...and quite frankly most people that ask it aren't that interested in your nine to five anyway.  It's a way to fill the space....  

I think there is a deeper level to this question but our society isn't interested in going much deeper than a puddle so what's the point.  I'm bored with this question.  I'm not that interested in hearing what you do for a living, even if it's really interesting...really impressive.  Doing something for money is unoriginal...and lets be honest, a good majority of us are in jobs that 
bring us 
little to no joy or satisfaction.

What I'm interested in is what do you do: 

that makes you who you are?  

that brings you joy?  

that inspires you?  

that defines you?  

that intrigues you?  

that is growing you?


If it happens to be your job then you are blessed (or you need some hobbies).  But for the rest of us lets be honest...lets break out of this facade we hide behind...afraid to show our real selves...our human selves.  Is this why we walk around the concrete jungle without making eye contact, without engaging, without smiling? Afraid that we might be seen...found out...that the only thing holding us together is bruised flesh and bone...that we love, and hate and cry and feel...that we're not perfect.  That we're vulnerable...all of us.

Take a moment...let that register.  Whether you spend most of your day sitting in a corner office or sitting at a street corner, we're not all that different...and yet we are all so complicatedly unique.

So lets try this again...I SMILE...I look into your eyes - the windows to your soul...nice to meet you...what do you DO...that makes you...that breaks you...that molds you... what do you do?


(see picture at http://pinterest.com/pin/98938523036860742/)

1 comment:

  1. I love nature, diving into a pool of cool water, like I'm entering another universe, where I am weightless and refreshed. or riding a dirt bike with the wind in my face, or waking up with my husband to the sounds of our hungry Hanna babe cooing at me for milk. that's how I am me.

    ReplyDelete