Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Releasing Patience

Do you ever feel like your patience is being tested?  Like God always seems to be saying, not yet...just wait.  

Wait for the weather to get warmer


wait for debts to be paid off


wait for that breakthrough you've been praying about


wait for provision to show up...and usually right at the last second.


wait for a promotion


wait for your next vacation

wait in line...wait for the bus...wait in traffic...wait for your Amazon package to arrive...


Sometimes I feel like even when things are picking up, and I can see my goal just on the horizon...so close I could taste it...that he's still asking me to pace myself...don't run ahead.  Stay with me until we're there.

The weak part of my flesh wants instant gratification...or at least to expedite the ending....and sometimes I feel like I might have a tantrum if I have to wait any longer. As if a tantrum is going to change his mind...

This may be a slight twist to a familiar verse, but it came to mind while I was thinking about wanting things NOW...Jesus says, where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Luke 12:34). Is it possible that my impatience has something to do with the importance I place on something...whether it be material, or not. And the question is, am I so impatient because there is a part of me that covets or worships this thing I want to have NOW.  I don't think this means we can't have goals, preferences, dreams, but it does mean that you can measure if you're focused on the right things based on how you react to being asked to wait...focused on eternal things, the things of heaven....or on the treasures you long to store up right now...today...this minute...  Does that make sense?  When I really think about it, I am feeling impatient because I am not focused on the GIVER...I am focused on the GIFT.  And as much as God wants to pour out blessings and gifts on us, he doesn't want us to worship the gifts themselves.  Sometimes I wonder if I'm being asked to wait so he can set my heart to focus where it should be...

There's no doubting that God humbles us at times, especially through stretching our innate behaviours, but it's always for our good.  I've never come out on the other side of a difficult situation and felt like I didn't learn something or gain some sort of strength or wisdom.  He wants to grow you and change you so you are ready to move into the next phase...the next project he wants to involve you in...the next blessing...








Are you READY?  SET!  aaaand...WAIT!









No comments:

Post a Comment