Monday, September 30, 2013

Releasing the Past - Part II (for Sweet 17)

I'm walking down the halls of my past.  
They're empty...dimly lit.
I can hear the faint squeak of my shoes on the floor.  
I smell stale bologna in the air, see crumpled papers on the floor, 
empty candy wrappers... remnants of students...but they've all left.

School hallway

It's been 14 years since I've darkened those halls 
but they haven't changed one bit.

I walk slowly, carefully, with precision, as I make my way past each door...each locker...each corridor.  Taking in this moment and feeling the familiar heartbeat of Sweet 17...I remember.  I pay tribute to my Sweet 17 of the past...and remember her today for you, Sweet 17 of the present.  I reach out and grab your hand...hold it with love and understanding...because I know where you are, thanks to the girl I used to be.  I squeeze your hand and lean in, whispering...don't worry, this will all turn out just fine.

As we walk the halls, each room we pass flashes scenes of my memories before us...my sweet 17 heart to yours.  Grades and part-time jobs, peer pressure and low self-esteem...hormones, depression.  The laughter and the tears.  The heart pounding crushes and the gut wrenching break ups.  Secret stories of the unspeakable...I bore them as an ally...teenage pregnancy, abortions, eating disorders. We all thought we were the only ones with darkness breathing down our necks...but we weren't alone.  Friends, acquaintances and even those I never knew.  I remember many faces, and many souls...some who never met us at the end...who left us too soon and broke our hearts.   It was a life I longed to escape...but I became the warrior and survivor of today because of it.  I bear faint battle wounds that tell my story.  You will too...but you WILL make it...and you will be grateful for your sweet 17 of today.

Sweet 17, if you only remember one thing through it all...if you hang on to one truth for today and your many days to come...know that Sweet Jesus wants to envelope you in his love and compassion...right in your sweet 17...right where you're at...today.  He calls you...welcomes you home with arms stretched open and a heart beating warm and love poured out...FOR YOU.  No matter what.

.
Be kind to yourself.  There are enough bullies and enough know-it-alls that want to keep you in fear...but it's because they are afraid too. 

I am not afraid, Sweet 17.  I know you are strong...I know you are brave.  I know you belong to Sweet Jesus.  No matter where your road winds, He will follow you...catch you...carry you...understand you...grow you...save you...love you into the sweet years ahead.  

He is the same yesterday, today and forever (Hebrews 13:8)...the grace that saved my sweet 17 will also save yours. Because Jesus embraced me, welcomed me home, resurrecting me from the not-so-sweet 17...I am whole...light...free!

No comments:

Post a Comment