Thursday, April 25, 2013

Releasing Faith on an April Commute

Heads were down, feet were shuffling.  I could smell the stuffy mix of expensive colognes and leather brief cases through a sea of black and gray suits.  We were all being herded like cattle up the crowded stairwell to the turnstiles exiting the subway on a busy April morning commute.  Not a word was spoken...like robots making our way to our cubicles and offices for another pay-cheque, another day that will slip quickly by without anyone even noticing.

Then I heard it, like a ray of light piercing a cold dark cell.  Piercing my beating heart, desperately searching for light....the wheels on the bus go round and round, all through the town...  The little girl with the red raincoat, oblivious to the mood in that stairwell and unhindered by the solemn, serious faces, shocked my heart back to a living rhythm, sending life giving blood to my life giving body...waking the spirit deep within.  Such joy in her voice proclaiming more life to live, and live to it's fullest...with unhindered joy! More buses to ride, more wheels to turn!  

The Best Rainy-Day Activities for Kids: Go Outside!
I smiled and heard my heart beat for more.  Beat in unison with your heart.  I prayed, what does that mean, Father God?  What are you saying through this undeniable God moment?  I heard a small voice whisper - - Faith like a child.  To live everyday, every moment in this tangible, unhindered love for life, love for my Creator, love for the gift of life I've been given..for today!  Let my voice break through the darkness with words of joy and hope...pointing the way to the only way, truth and life that will make a difference.

Isn't that what we all want?  Something different?  To be freed from this monotonous, repetitive, life sucking existence?  Is that what I hear in the sound of the underground morning shuffle...no words, but hearts crying out for more...wanting to break free...to release the inner child...the inner faith that there is something bigger and more meaningful out there for each one of us. And not to believe it in secret - 
to feel calloused and marred by the wounds this life has given- but to hope with a heart that can't let go of this nagging doubt, to declare that I truly believe there is abundant life to live and it is mine!  Life to sing and dance about and that I can live it out to it's fullest exactly where I am right now....in a stuffy subway stairwell...in a cold dark jail cell...in a cubicle on the 33rd floor....in my backyard....in my laundry room.  'Cause the author and perfecter of my faith, my child-like faith, dwells inside me...he's taken up residence and is patiently waiting for my heart to beat with his...for my eyes to open wide....for my child within to wake up. Wake up 'O sleeper. Rise from the dead and Christ will Shine on you!  (Ephesians 5:14)

(see picture at http://pinterest.com/pin/98938523036455229/)

No comments:

Post a Comment